Thursday, February 12, 2009

Oz

I recently got a peek behind the curtain. Although the wizard’s motivation was not entirely unexpected, the overt emphasis on certain aspects of it was surprising to me nonetheless. I suppose you could characterize my experience as receiving a hard dose of reality. I can’t really say I’m disillusioned but my idealism certainly took a battering in the moment.

I held out no real expectations of the encounter itself. I obviously have no grasp of party obligations and power structure. I surely don’t have the proper appreciation of the role money plays in the process. Deep down, I knew I probably couldn’t fit into the established mold, which I’m pretty sure was reflected in my answers. If I emerged from the room with my idealism in tatters, I’m pretty sure my integrity emerged intact anyway. I definitely found out a little more of who I am.

Overall, it was a valuable experience for many reasons but not one I’m ever likely to repeat. Like Dorothy said, “There’s no place like home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment